Friday, October 9, 2009

"All flying insects that swarm are unclean to you; do not eat them. But any winged creature that is clean you may eat." - Deuteronomy 14:19-20

Question? Did the Hebrew people of that day really have a problem with the consumption of bugs? I just can't imagine Abraham sneaking out on Sarah in the middle of the night to chase down a delicious firefly. And as we all know, once you bite into a firefly, the evidence is all over your teeth. Those babies stay lit up long after they're dead!


I just don't get it. I can barely read this verse without cracking a smile. I would like to suggest to you that this is one of those sins (bug eating) that I could easily avoid. If tempted, I would just pray, "Bug off." I know it would work. And yet, there must have been people who couldn't get enough bugs in their diet. Thus, God gave this commandment to obstain from particular bugs. But why? Why would God impose such regulations upon His people?

Okay...so here's what I'm thinking: Could it be possible that when we get to heaven someday that we will all look back at our sins only to discover that what we consumed was just as gross as those swarming bugs? Will we look back and think, "How in the world could we have ever digested that horrible, slimy, and grotesque sin? What were we thinking?" Will we see it that way?

Now I know that there are many theological and ceremonial meanings for the potential reasons as to why God made a distinction among the bugs. I won't go there. But I will add this: Sin tends to be a lot like the bad bugs - swarming us. And if we don't run from it, it has the potential to invade our body with some real nasty bites.

Next time you are tempted to sin...think about swallowing a bug before you give into it - and don't. God made frogs for a reason, so don't steal their meal.


Something to think about...