Friday, July 8, 2011

Tomorrow morning at 4 AM I will face a personal challenge that will tax my willpower.

Have you every said "yes" to something, but later come to the realization that your initial enthusiasm outweighed your ability to actually perform the specific challenge? If so, then you might be able to relate to my particular situation. A group of men, (neanderthals from my church) who live for 100 mile trail runs, have invited me to go with them tomorrow to the Superior Hiking Trail north of Duluth Minnesota for a 13.8 mile trail run that takes up to 6 to 7 hours to complete because of the brutal terrain. In fact, this particular trail has "danger" signs posted due to the steep cliffs and jagged rocks. And I'm getting up at 4:00 in the morning to do this - really? When it comes to running I'm a novice. My style of running incorporates living. I can't imagine what I will do when I see my first cliff tomorrow. I think that part of my brain that deals with discernment is broke!

Are there things in your life today that you need to rethink? Is there a trusted friend that you can turn to for advice and a grip on sanity?

I love this verse:

Proverbs 11:14
Where there is no guidance the people fall, but in abundance of counselors there is victory.

My prayer is that God surrounds you with friends who love you enough to speak truth in love - and that you would also seek them out. Everybody faces cliffs and jagged rocks in life. But to go through these obstacles with willing friends to advise you - is definitely a gift from God.