Monday, May 23, 2011

An early morning toothache led me to my dentist this morning. I learned, once again, the importance of preventative care.

Men get toothache

Are you like me?  Do you often wait until the last possible moment to seek treatment or help?  Perhaps, like me, you think you can weather the storm of nagging pain or discomfort. It had been close to three years since I last sat in a dentist chair - and those three years caught up with me today.   Several weeks ago a section of my back molar broke away while eating a box of candy DOTS - go figure!  And last night, I slept less than four hours with a throbbing mouth.  Not fun.  Truth be known, I've been dreading this day.  And yet, preventative care is essential to staying ahead of the game.  It's not only true of our teeth, but it is also true of our spiritual lives.  We just can't afford to go weeks without any spiritual maintenance and still expect to grow healthy in our relationship with Christ.  Unfortunately, many people wait until something breaks off or decays in their life before they get serious about spiritual healing.  However, God never wanted us to live this way.  Instead, it is important for us to exercise preventative care via: prayer, reading the Word, serving the church, and stewarding our resources.   As I discovered today, it doesn't take long for cavities or decay to form.  As someone once said, "Ignore your teeth and they will go away."  The same is true in our spiritual lives.  It is my prayer that we will refocus our attention on God and commit to living for Him daily before we go into crisis mode and fall into a huge cavity. 

 

Posted via email from Brad Reis